Thursday, November 17, 2011

While my tank gently weeps

Finally finished up the tank. You can see what it started out looking like HERE. 
Finished the first of the patches after hammer and dollying some life back into it. This patch had four different curves to it took some time just to make.

Next of the patches. I wanted to get the nose of the tank to sit a little lower. You can see my pie cut to achieve this. Lowering the tank however created some clearance problems with one of the bolt heads on the motor so I shortened up the bead on this side of the tank. I love the little mods you see on bikes and cars that 99.9% of people would never notice until you parked it next to a stocker.



Next up. Eliminating where the original tank mounts were mounted. 


After some hammer welding.

When I tore a part the tank the inside was covered with rust after years of neglect. I got rid of a lot of this with a wire wheel. I then let it soak in a molasses bath(1 part molasses/5 parts water). It cleaned it up really well and I definitely recommend it. I will line the tank with a tank liner so the rust won't come back.



Welded up. You can see how the bead on the right is about 2" shorter than stock and the new mounts.

Mounted up

During the surgery I lowered the tunnel about 3/8" and took about another 1/4" off the bottom of the tank to get it to look "right" in my eyes.



Still playing with ride height.

Lowered 2.25"


No comments:

Post a Comment