Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mike's 1929 DeSoto Modified

This is a 1929 DeSoto modified I am working on for my friend Mike. The car was originally built by Kirk Jones (known to some as Kirk!). The car was never completed and when Kirk decided to build the Legion Special he took all the pieces off of this to run on the Special. He then sold what was left to my friend Mike. Mike brought it to me a few weeks ago to get it rolling. 
 Here is how it looked when we first brought it over to my place
Kirk built the perimeter of the frame consisting of front and rear crossmembers. The front runs a suicide perch. None of the suspension, motor, trans, etc has been mounted yet.
The car was originally set up for an inline six. Mike found this nice 250 Chevy to run and it will be mated to a 350 transmission. 

After figuring out what kind of stance he wanted and getting the motor tacked in its proper place I commenced on making the motor mounts. Mike wanted something simple and this is what I came up with. Here is one side in progress.

And here they are all done 
The left side mount took a little more time to make due to the offset mounts on the motor

All bolted up



Next up is building the tranny crossmember.


No comments:

Post a Comment